In “Girl” by Jamaica Kincaid, the mother provides her daughter with numerous expectations about how a girl should behave. Reflect on a specific gender expectation within your culture that has been challenging for you to navigate. Then describe one clear example of this expectation and explain why it has been difficult for you. Keep your response concise, vivid, and focused on your personal experience.

Prompt Response: A specific gender expectation in my culture is that women are expected to dress a certain way especially at formal events. Growing up i never liked wearing frilly "girly" clothing and especially hated being forced to wear dresses to weddings and the like. Even now with my more open style I rarely ever wear dresses only making exceptions for events like homecoming and prom. I only own 1 skirt and its a very non-traditional skirt as it is very long, colorful/wildly patterned, and covered in real seashells.

Summary: We wrote a list of stereotypical things we would expect from a husband

Reflection: I learned more about mens stereotypical roles

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Describe a time when you felt completely lost.

I too poem

Judith Ortiz Cofer says, “The Island travels with you.” What part of your culture, family, or identity do you feel “travels” with you everywhere you go?